Scientific Internships (Year-Round)
Students who are either pursuing or have obtained a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in the natural or computer sciences, mathematics or any related discipline are eligible to apply for a scientific intern position at ISTA. A scientific intern can be appointed for a period of up to 1 year.
Candidates are selected by the head of a research group (Professor or Assistant Professor) or the staff scientists and the appointment is subject to the availability of sufficient funds for the salary of the scientific intern and a formal approval of the Academic Affairs division. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis, and those interested in an independent scientific intern position at ISTA should contact the respective group leader or staff scientist directly.
- Identify which research group / scientist you’re most interested in working with. In order to find out about the range of research groups available, please browse this overview of research groups or list of staff scientists.
- Once you’ve found a research group you’d like to work with, email the research group leader / staff scientist directly, remembering to include:
– a short intro to your background, and your motivation to work with them
– an attached CV (in PDF format), listing relevant experience, education history
– possible dates for your internship (start date must be at least 2 months ahead)
- If they are interested in hosting you as a scientific intern in their group, they or their assistant will be in touch with you for further steps, requesting further information through our application portal.
- Not all research groups/units are able to accept an intern. Before applying, candidates should take a closer look at the webpages to make sure their profile and research interests match the groups’ research topics.
- We only take complete applications into consideration. Incomplete and/or irrelevant applications will NOT be processed. Due to the sheer volume of applications we receive, we only reply to selected candidates.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis, therefore there is no central deadline.
But, your registration in the application portal (step 3 in the application process) must be completed at least 2 month before your start date.
Fee and Salary
ISTA does not charge any processing or application fees for any of its programs at any stage.
Scientific interns will have an employment contract with ISTA and receive a minimum salary of EUR 1,184 gross/month. You cannot be employed as a scientific intern in ISTA if you are employed elsewhere.
What do faculty members look for?
It is important for you to show passion and interest for the research topic of the group you’re applying to. Having the relevant educational background is a must, while having transferable/related research experience or technical skills and know-how would be a big benefit.